Columbia Sportswear was founded in 1938. It is one of the quintessential authentic outdoor apparel and footwear companies that design with innovation, function, and quality. They provide good value for the gear that they supply and do so for all seasons and most outdoor adventures. This is especially the case with their hiking footwear. Columbia hiking boots and shoes are some of the best in their class and in many cases, are pretty stylish.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you buy something through my site. This helps me run my website and produce the articles that I hope you find helpful.
How The Reviews Are Organized
In the following article, I highlight and review 11 of the best Columbia hiking boots and shoes. I discuss the style, its best features and any other important information or concerns that I may have with them. In addition, I supply options for both men and women.
Once you are finished, you should have a complete understanding of all of the best Columbia hiking shoes and the footwear technology that each of them offers. You should be able to make a proper assessment of what you need for the kind of hiking that you hope to do.
As you will see, there are a lot of Columbia hiking boots and shoes from which to choose. However, if you have not found exactly what you want, I would recommend taking a look at the following:
- Hoka One One is a cutting edge footwear manufacturer whose signature is a lightweight maximalist approach to midsole cushion and an early stage meta-rocker to promote an earlier transition from heel to toe. Its hiking shoes and boots include those and other advancements to take hiking footwear to a whole new level. I review them in Hoka Hiking Boots And Their Best Competitors.
- New Balance hiking shoes: New Balance has used its running shoe technology in its hiking shoes and boots to create very comfortable and high-performance hiking footwear. I review them in 10 Best New Balance Hiking Shoes For Exceptional Comfort.
Best Columbia Hiking Boots And Shoes For Men And Women
Here are the best Columbia hiking boots for men and women. They all offer plenty of Columbia footwear technology to make your hikes comfortable and safe. In addition, they are well priced for the quality and style that make-up all Columbia hiking shoes.
Columbia Newton Ridge For Men
Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boots
Newton Ridge Plus II Suede Waterproof Hiking Boots
- Waterproof seam-sealed construction.
- Metal hardware for durable and fast lacing.
- Lightweight Techlite midsole for shock absorption, and superior cushioning.
- Soft knit ankle collar and padded tongue for comfort.
- Omni-Grip non-marking rubber outsole with deep multi-directional lugs for excellent grip on rock, loose dirt, and gravel in wet and dry conditions.
- Newton Ridge Plus II Suede is made from suede and synthetic upper whereas the other Newton Ridge Plus II boot is made from PU coated leather, suede and mesh upper.
- These Columbia hiking boots are not “absolutely” waterproof like Columbia hiking shoes that offer OutDry technology. They supply waterproof seam-sealed construction which will prevent water from seeping through the seams of the boots and between the outsoles and the midsoles. In addition, the leather and suede will offer a reasonable amount of waterproofness from mild wet conditions. But, they may not be waterproof against severe rainfall or walking through deep puddles.
- Leather and suede require regular maintenance with proper creams or sprays to keep their waterproofness.
- Outsole traction provides stability on snow and ice, but these Columbia hiking boots do not have any insulation.
Newton Ridge is one of the original Columbia hiking boots that take its design from classic mountaineering gear. They are a stylish and rugged pair of shoes that supplies excellent midfoot cushion for great energy return while hiking. In addition, they offer exceptional outsole traction for most challenges that you may face on any hiking trail.
However, as far as advanced footwear technology offered by Columbia, these Columbia hiking boots supply the least amount. If you are looking to challenge yourself in severe weather conditions or on very long technical hikes, you may want to explore other Columbia hiking shoes that offer more up to date advancements. They are highlighted further in this article. However, for most hikes over uneven terrain, these classics still offer excellent hiking features for a comfortable and safe day on the trails.
Columbia Newton Ridge For Women
Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boots
Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Amped Hiking Boots
Newton Ridge Canvas Waterproof Hiking Boots
- The features are exactly the same as the men’s Newton Ridge Plus II described above notwithstanding the different names of the Columbia hiking boots.
- The only difference between these three women’s boots is materials.
- Newton Ridge Plus offers breathable mesh textile and leather upper whereas the Newton Ridge Plus Amped supplies full-grain leather and suede, a scratch rubber heel, and a mesh tongue. Newton Ridge Canvas has a waxed-canvas upper with suede overlays.
- All of the same issues and concerns, like waterproofness and care, described under the same heading for the men’s New Ridge Plus II exist here.
- The only addition is that the waxed-canvas material will also need regular maintenance to maintain its waterproofness.
Columbia Crestwood Hiking Shoes
Men’s Crestwood Hiking Shoes
Women’s Crestwood Hiking Shoes
Women’s Crestwood Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
- Upper includes leather, mesh, and webbing for enhanced breathability.
- Lightweight Techlite midsole for superior comfort, cushioning, and high energy rebound to bring a spring to your step.
- Non-marking rubber outsoles.
- Omni-grip multi-terrain traction with a dual-zone winter tread pattern.
- High durability with reinforced toe and heel overlays for abrasion resistance.
- Lace-up enclosure for a secure fit.
- Heel tab for easy on and off.
- There is one style for men and two for women.
- The Crestwood hiking shoes are not waterproof whereas the women’s Crestwood Mid hiking boots are. They are breathable and supply protection against light to medium rain and snow.
- Tread is suitable for ice and snow but these Columbia hiking shoes do not offer any insulation.
- Fit is true to size.
These Columbia hiking boots are one of the classics. They are an all-purpose hiking shoe with exceptional traction for a strong grip across a wide variety of terrain, including ice and snow.
They are lightweight and durable. The leather upper and overlays in key high impact areas, such as the toes and heels, ensure that your feet are protected and the shoes last for a long time. The midsole supplies a lightweight cushion that supplies long-lasting shock absorption. The mesh and webbing in the upper and padded tongue provide comfort in multiple ways, including allowing your feet to breathe while hiking.
Columbia Pivot Hiking Shoes
Men’s Pivot Mid Waterproof Shoes
Men’s Pivot Waterproof Shoes
Women’s Pivot Mid Waterproof Shoes
Women’s Pivot Shoes
- Seam-sealed, waterproof-breathable upper (except for Women’s Pivot style which is not waterproof).
- Knit upper with suede and synthetic leather overlays.
- Thick outsole and Techlite midsole for lightweight shock absorption and superior cushioning.
- Omni-Grip non-marking rubber tread that is built to supply excellent traction on uneven and slippery terrain.
- Toe and heel rocker to help the natural walking movement of your foot.
- Heel and tongue tags for a quicker fit.
- There are 3 men’s styles, including a non-waterproof Pivot shoe option.
- There are only 2 women’s styles, one that is waterproof and the other that is not.
- Designed for casual or trail use.
- Fits true to size.
These Columbia hiking shoes were designed with versatility in mind. They are equally at home walking city streets as they are hiking on mountain trails.
The sneaker-style shoes can be used for light trail running in addition to hiking, whereas the mid-shoe range offers more support around the ankle and is better suited for hikes. All styles provide nonmarking outsoles so you can easily transition indoors.
The Columbia Pivot range supply excellent cushioning underfoot and are designed to absorb uneven and slippery terrain while keeping your foot stable. Your feet will stay cool and dry with breathable uppers. These Columbia hiking boots are stylish and would compliment athletic as well as everyday outfits.
Columbia Redmond V2 Hiking Shoes
Men’s Redmond V2 Waterproof Hiking Shoes
Men’s Redmond V2 Hiking Shoes
Women’s Redmond V2 Hiking Shoes
- Durable suede upper with mesh and webbing for breathability.
- Lightweight Techlite midsole for excellent shock absorption and cushion.
- Toe rocker with slight heel rocker for natural push-off from toe and a more stable heel.
- Omni-Grip non-marking rubber outsole with grip for all terrains.
- Durable lacing system – top metal rivets, lacing aglets, and reinforced webbing aglets.
- Reinforced toe and heel with extended rubber outsole toe overwrap to protect feet and shoes.
- Men’s waterproof option includes Omni-Tech which supplies multi-layered waterproof protection from light to medium rain and snow. It also stays breathable.
- Men have two hiking shoe options – one that is waterproof.
- Women only have one and it is not waterproof.
- Some find shoes to be a bit stiff and heavy at first. May need breaking in.
- May run on the narrow side.
Another classic Columbia hiking shoe, the Redmond range of shoes offers everything that you have come to expect in fantastic hiking footwear. They supply breathable uppers, superior midsole cushion, and exceptional outsole traction for uneven, challenging, and slippery terrain.
Durability is a particular focus with these hiking shoes. They supply abrasion resistant overlaps at the heel and the toes, with extended rubber toe bumper to protect your toes from scuffs. The lacing system has top metal rivets and has reinforced aglets for a more secure and comfortable fit.
These Columbia hiking shoes are a good looking rugged shoe that could be effortlessly worn from the trails to dinner.
Columbia IVO Trail Shoes
Men’s IVO Trail Breeze Shoes
Men’s IVO Trail Waterproof Shoes
Women’s IVO Trail Breeze Shoes
Women’s IVO Trail Waterproof Shoes
- Techlite midsole for long-lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return.
- Thick rubber Omni-Grip non-marking outsole for excellent traction on all kinds of terrain.
- Toe and slight heel rocker for forward propelling motion.
- Lots of flex in the forefoot part of the outsole.
- Lacing is traditional and reinforced through suede overlays.
- Durability in the toe and heel areas with overlays.
- Ivo Trail Breeze is not waterproof and their upper is made with suede and synthetic leather overlays.
- Ivo Trail Waterproof is made with a textile upper with suede overlays. It supplies a waterproof bootie construction.
- Same shoe styles are offered for both men and women.
- City or trail use.
- No webbing or mesh so may not breathe as well as other Columbia models.
While these shoes are classified as hiking shoes, and they offer key footwear technology to make them good hiking shoes, these Columbia hiking shoes are excellent for their everyday use in both city and trail walking. They offer a retro-inspired shoe with superb shock absorption and traction on the outsole to handle most terrains.
The toe rocker and flex in the outsole offer the foot the increased flexibility to hike or scamper over difficult ground or obstacles in the trail. Accordingly, these would be some of the best Columbia hiking shoes when flexibility and agility are required.
Although the Ivo Trail Waterproof includes a waterproof bootie construction, they do not supply Omni-Tech (medium level) or OutDry (high level) technology. Accordingly, if you want the highest level of waterproofness in your hiking shoes, you will want to review the shoes highlighted in this article that include Omni-Tech, or even better Outdry technology.
Columbia Vitesse Outdry Hiking Shoes
Men’s Vitesse Outdry Hiking Shoes
Men’s Vitesse Mid Outdry Hiking Shoes
Women’s Vitesse Outdry Hiking Shoes
Women’s Vitesse Mid Outdry Hiking Shoes
- Patented OutDry technology creates a one-piece barrier against medium to heavy rain and snow.
- Exceptional fit and flexibility.
- Highly breathable.
- Textile upper.
- Seamless no-sew overlays support and stop rubbing.
- Techlite+ – Columbia’s most advanced lightweight midsole cushion with energy rebound.
- Omni-Grip non-marking rubber outsole for exceptional traction and grip on uneven and slippery terrain.
- The Vitesse mid versions supply a knit collar for comfort and to resist debris. These Columbia hiking shoes also offer more ankle support.
- There are four different styles of Vitesse hiking shoes for both men and women. Those include the two OutDry versions shown above. However, there are also slip-on and regular Vitesse versions without OutDry.
- Durability may be an issue.
These are some of the most technologically advanced pair of Columbia hiking shoes and would be considered one of the best Columbia hiking boots.
They include the most advanced lightweight midsole for shock absorption and energy return, in addition to highly waterproof and breathable uppers. If you want to challenge yourself on very difficult terrain through puddles or torrential downpours, these are the hiking shoes for you. The Omni-Grip outsole offers exceptional traction on loose dirt and gravel through its multidirectional and deep lugs.
They also offer a sleek sporty look that would complement both athletic and city wear.
Columbia Facet Shoes
Men’s Facet 15 Shoes
Women’s Facet 15 Shoes
- Ballistic textile upper with welded overlays for super durability and abrasion resistance.
- Omni-Shield repels light moisture or messy environments.
- Heel stabilized for optimal performance on the trail.
- Techlite+ delivers advanced lightweight and responsive midsole cushioning.
- FluidFrame technology delivers midfoot support.
- Aggressive outsole lug design for optimal traction, debris release, and grip.
- Omni-Grip non-marking rubber outsole.
- Toe and heel rockers for easy transitions.
- Water repellant not waterproof.
These Columbia hiking shoes are ultralight and versatile trail hiking shoes that are designed with running shoe styling and technology. They include foot cradling comfort with a stabilizing heel and mid-foot support to combine cushion and structure so that you can not only take challenging hikes but you can also do some trail running without changing your shoes.
The increased support from the Fluidframe technology makes these some of the best Columbia hiking shoes as they supply adaptive trail stability and absorb impact more evenly from uneven terrain.
They are only water and stain repellant meaning that your feet are likely to get wet if you hike or run through a puddle or during rainfall. Other than that, these Columbia hiking boots offer multi-sport options and also look good enough to run errands or have lunch in town.
Columbia Facet 30 Outdry Shoes
Men’s Facet 30 Outdry Shoes
Women’s Facet 30 Outdry Shoes
Key Differences Between Facet 15 and Facet 30 Shoes:
The shoe technology is the same between Facet 15 and Facet 30 OutDry shoes except for two features.
1. Facet 30 includes speed-lacing so that you can have a secure fit with a single pull of a cord.
2. Facet 30 has OutDry not Omni-Shield technology. This means that Facet 30 has superior features such as “absolute” waterproofing against medium to heavy rain and snow. They are also highly breathable with excellent fit and flexibility.
Facet 30 Outdry Shoes took the significant footwear technology offered in Facet 15 for a comfortable, supportive and stable hike or run on challenging mountain trails, and then made them better in Facet 30 Outdry Shoes.
These Columbia hiking shoes supply speed lacing that not only requires a single pull for a secure fit but offers extra comfort as it evenly distributes the pressure from the laces over the top of the foot.
More importantly, they provide a full waterproof hiking shoe so that you can hike or run on the trails through puddles or during heavy rainfall.
Columbia Facet 45 Outdry Shoes
Men’s Facet 45 Outdry Shoes
Women’s Facet 45 Outdry Shoes
Key Differences Between Facet 30 and Facet 45 Shoes:
The shoe technology is the same between Facet 30 OutDry and Facet 45 OutDry shoes except for two features.
1. Facet 45 has a Kinetic Lacing System which adapts to your foot while providing a secure fit.
2. Facet 30 has a knit collar for a sock-like and comfortable fit.
- These are slip-on shoes so you may want to order a half size smaller than normal for a better and more secure fit.
- The knitted collar supplies comfort not support to the ankle.
The two enhancements to these Columbia hiking boots – kinetic lacing and knitted collar – are meant to provide a more dynamic or adaptable fit to the shape of your foot.
The knitted collar adds comfort to the ankle and also keeps out debris.
The kinetic lacing system is essentially two flexible/stretchable straps across the shoe. They are not adjustable but flex in both directions. Accordingly, these Columbia hiking shoes are slip-on and meant to mold, to some extent, around your feet.
While this makes them very comfortable, they may not supply enough support or security around the foot if hiking or running over slippery or uneven terrain, notwithstanding the superb traction on the outsole. Ultimately, this would be a personal preference.
Beyond that, these Columbia hiking shoes have a cool appearance and would look as good on city streets as mountain trails.
Columbia Trailstorm Waterproof Shoes
Men’s Trailstorm Mid Waterproof Shoes
Men’s Trailstorm Waterproof Shoes
Women’s Trailstorm Mid Waterproof Shoes
Women’s Trailstorm Waterproof Shoes
- Omni-Tech – waterproof levels for light to medium rain and snow.
- Breathable – excess heat and moisture escape keeping feet cool and dry.
- Navic Fit System – stabilizes the midfoot for more comfortable walking.
- Molded TPU toe cap for lightweight protection for your toes and shoes.
- Toe and slight heel rocker to promote natural walking.
- Techlite+ – highly responsive and lightweight cushioning.
- Adapt Trax – outsole provides deep multidirectional lugs for superb traction in all conditions and on challenging terrain.
These Columbia hiking boots offer superb footwear technology to make a day on the trails comfortable and secure. Columbia has added its most lightweight and responsive cushion to the midsole. Together with the stabilizing mid foot support, every step that you take in these Columbia hiking boots or shoes should provide shock absorption and energy rebound without rubbing or blistering.
They supply exceptional outsole traction for stability in most conditions. As for waterproofness, these Columbia hiking boots supply enough to keep your feet dry except for extreme rain or snow fall. However, if you think you may need more intense waterproof protection, you should look for Columbia hiking boots with OutDry technology.
As for style, these shoes have a street style appeal and could easily transition from a day hitting the trails to a night on the town.
Columbia is a leading designer and manufacturer of hiking boots and shoes. They offer superb footwear technology to make any hike comfortable, safe and exhilarating. Which one you choose will ultimately depend on your intended use of those shoes. Whether you want a separate pair of Columbia hiking boots dedicated to hiking serious trails or a pair that will work for a day hiking, city walking, and eating at a restaurant, Columbia has something for you.