Last Updated on December 30, 2021 by Nicole
Saucony walking shoes are an excellent choice whether you are keen to walk paved city streets, uneven country trails, or required to stand or walk for long hours at work. Each of them supplies excellent comfort and shock absorption so that you end your day with feet that are ready for more. The best Saucony walking shoes are also stylish, either offering a sleek modern look, a contemporary sneaker profile, or even a retro vintage option.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you buy something through my site. This helps me run my website and produce the articles that I hope you find helpful.
Who Is Saucony?
Well, to begin this article, let’s make sure we are all pronouncing the company name correctly. It is ‘SOCK A KNEE’. In fact, for some years the phrase ‘sock a knee’ was printed on the company’s shoeboxes just so everyone knew how to say it.
The name derives from the Saucony Creek alongside which the first factory was built when the company was founded in 1898. This makes it one of the oldest sports footwear manufacturers in the United States.
Today, Saucony makes a range of sports shoes, including walking and trail running shoes. They also produce road running shoes, spiked running shoes, and leisure footwear for both adults and children. In addition to footwear, the company produces clothing such as hoodies, jackets, shorts, socks, sweatpants, and t-shirts.
How The Reviews Are Organized
In this article, I provide the 9 best Saucony walking shoes for men and women. By and large, each Saucony shoe is unisex – offered in similar colors to both men and women, but in different sizes.
In the Buyer’s Guide, I explain specific Saucony footwear technology to help you understand key features of different shoes. In addition, I break down the qualities of what makes a great walking shoe regardless of the manufacturer.
Saucony offers a fantastic selection of walking shoes. However, after reviewing this article, if you curious about other options, I would recommend taking a look at four others – Asics, Nike, Ryka and Skechers
- 7 Most Versatile And Best ASICS Walking Shoes;
- 11 Best Nike Walking Shoes For Comfort And Style;
- 14 Best Ryka Walking Shoes With Comfort And Style; and
- 11 Best Skechers Go Walk 5 Shoes For Ultimate Comfort.
All of them offer excellent walking shoes. ASICS and Nike follow a sports sneaker model with their own exceptional footwear technology.
Ryka is very unique in that the shoes are only designed for women’s feet which are very different from men’s. Instead of shoes being modelled to fit a man’s foot and then, shrunk down to fit a woman’s foot, Ryka only focuses and creates footwear for women.
Skechers line of walking shoes are more fashion driven but that only hides its own footwear technology that targets support and comfort. If you are seeking comfort with a little style, then this is the footwear for you.
Best Saucony Walking Shoes
Here are 10 of the best Saucony walking shoes for men and women. They are all well priced and thoughtfully designed to make your day on your feet comfortable and supported.
Saucony Cohesion 13 For Men
Saucony Cohesion 13 For Women
Saucony Cohesion TR13 For Men
Saucony Cohesion TR13 For Women
- VERSARUN cushioning absorbs impact and reduces backlash to the foot thus decreasing foot and leg fatigue.
- Segmented rubber outsole provides flex to enhance natural gait.
- Synthetic and mesh for breathability and excellent fit.
- Rubber outlays for abrasion control and durability.
- Designed for neutral pronation.
- 12mm offset between heel to toe.
- Light at 7.3 oz – 8.9 oz (207g – 252g).
- Available in half and wide sizes.
Differences Between Saucony Cohesion 13 and Saucony Cohesion 13 TR13
The fundamental difference is the outsole. Cohesion 13 TR13 is a trail shoe and has deep lugs on the outsole to supply better grip on uneven or slippery terrain. Saucony Cohesion 13 also provides an excellent outsole with a good tread but if you think that most of your walks will be on trails or challenging surfaces, then you should opt for the trail version.
The Saucony Cohesion 13 is intended as a running shoe but also makes a superb walking shoe. It is budget-friendly with lots of superb Saucony footwear technology.
It supplies cushioning, durability, and support with excellent breathability. The outsoles have deep grooves to grip uneven terrain or for stability on slippery surfaces. The rubber protective overlays on the toe and heel will protect the shoe and foot from scuffs and abrasions.
Saucony Cohesion 14 For Men
Saucony Cohesion 14 For Women
Saucony Cohesion TR14 For Men
Saucony Cohesion TR14 For Women
Saucony Cohesion 14 is the newest model of the Saucony Cohesion range. There are two relatively small changes to the newest version. First, the outsole is redesigned to create deeper lugs at the front for a smoother more stable gait. It now more closely resembles the TR14 outsole. Second, the upper has been redesigned to add a heel lip that snugs your heel for more support.
Is Saucony Cohesion 14 better than Cohesion 13?
The changes from Cohesion 13 to Cohesion 14 are limited. If you would feel better with your heel more secure in your shoe to help align your feet when you walk, then you should consider Cohesion 14. If you think that you will be walking on more uneven surfaces, slippery terrain or along trails, then you should look more closely at Cohesion 14 or Cohesion TR13 or TR14.
For those just looking for a decent pair of comfortable walking shoes for work or play, then see if you can find a size in the Cohesion 13 first before you look to the Cohesion 14s. Older models tend to sell for a discount.
Saucony Omni Walker 3 For Men
Saucony Omni Walker 3 For Women
- PWRRUN midsole for excellent cushioning and bounce while you walk.
- Designed for moderate overpronation (foot rolls inward when walking).
- Slip-resistant outsole.
- Front toe rocker to improve spring off your step.
- Stable flat heel.
- Weight: 11.6 – 12.9 oz (or 329g – 366g).
- Durable leather upper with synthetic material and mesh for breathability.
- Leather lip above the heel to reduce stress on the Achilles heel and improve fit.
- Heel collar to cushion the ankle and secure the fit.
- External rubber toe bumper to improve abrasion resistance.
- Some half sizes and wide versions.
- Available in black or white.
The Saucony Omni Walker 3 provides all-day comfort and stability. There are ample midsole and heel cushion for shock absorption on impact. In addition, the heel collar, leather upper, and leather lip above the Achilles heels ensure that this walking shoe fits securely around the foot for comfort, assists in correcting moderate overpronation, and removes rubbing and blistering.
In addition to providing an excellent walking shoe, the Saucony Omni Walker 3 would be an excellent choice for anyone who needs to stand all day. If you work in a restaurant or hospital setting, these would be an excellent choice.
Saucony Xodus 10 For Men
Saucony Xodus 10 For Women
- Rubber sole with PWRTRAC – aggressive lugs to allow for exceptional grip on difficult terrain with excellent abrasion resistance.
- PWRRUN+ improves the cushioning on the top sole and midsole to maximize comfort and enhance a lighter underfoot sensation. It is flexible, durable, and can absorb more impact than other materials.
- This shoe is also designed using FORMFIT where the upper has been shaped to keep your foot in place to maintain midfoot flexibility and eliminate rubbing and blistering.
- Designed for neutral pronation.
- 4mm heel to toe offset for stability and for natural distribution of weight on the whole foot when you walk.
- Toe rocker to help with a natural walking gait.
- Synthetic material with mesh to give the shoe some breathability.
- Weight: 10.5oz (298g) – 11.7oz (332g).
- Available in full and half sizes and a few color choices.
The Saucony Xodus 10 is packed with the latest Saucony footwear technology. It is one of the best Saucony sneakers if your goal is to go for long walks on slippery or challenging terrain. The outsole is flexible and has exceptional deep traction to grip difficult trails.
In addition, it is designed to fit the shape of your foot, secure the heel, and offer extreme cushion and shock absorption for ultimate comfort. The small heel drop encourages a midfoot strike as it hits the ground, thus creating a more natural foot and ankle motion, distributing body weight and impact over the whole foot more evenly.
Saucony Echelon Walker 3 For Men
Saucony Echelon Walker 3 For Women
- PWRRUN midsole for amazing cushioning and spring while you walk.
- Wide toe box.
- Slip-resistant outsole.
- Front toe rocker.
- 8mm offset between heel and forefoot, ideal for walking if want less stress on Achilles and ankles.
- Weight: 12.5 – 13.9 oz (or 354g – 394 g).
- Durable leather upper with synthetic material and mesh.
- Some half sizes and wide versions.
- Offered in black or white.
The design of the Saucony Echelon 3 is to accommodate a wide range of needs. Overall, the shoe supplies a generous fit, with lots of midsole cushion, and a balanced and stable ride.
Cushioning is distributed more evenly between the heel and forefoot in shoes with an 8mm heel to toe offset. The result is your body stays even and in a more comfortable position.
This is one of the best Saucony sneakers for anyone looking for a shoe with a little extra room for the toes, will absorb some impact through the heel but also offers a natural roll forward, and excellent midsole cushion to absorb impact.
Saucony Integrity Walker 3 For Men
Saucony Integrity Walker 3 For Women
- PWRRUN midsole for responsive cushioning to reduce backlash.
- WALK TRAC along rubber sole to promote a natural gait.
- Designed for the neutral walker.
- 12mm heel to toe drop for more impact on the heel while walking.
- Premium full-grain leather upper for durability and a secure fit.
- Synthetic and mesh for breathability.
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Weight: 10.03 oz (292 g) – 11.5 oz (326 g)
- Comes in three colors – white, black, and grey – and in half sizes, narrow, wide, and extra-wide sizing.
For those who are looking for one of the best Saucony sneakers that offers premium leather uppers with a high impact heel, then the Saucony Integrity Walker 3 is an ideal choice. It offers responsive cushioning for a neutral walker (someone whose feet do not roll inward or out while walking) who prefers to reduce pressure on the Achilles heel and ankles in their stride.
Saucony Switchback 2 For Men
Saucony Switchback 2 For Women
- Boa Fit System for exceptional fit.
- PWRRUN+ midsole cushioning for excellent cushion and spring that is also flexible and durable.
- PWRTRAC directional lugs for amazing grip on wet and challenging surfaces.
- Trail specific FORMFIT for an effortless fit that wraps your foot.
- Rock plate underfoot to protect from trail hazards.
- Mudguard on the upper to provide durability on high-abrasion areas.
- Woven sock-like upper.
- Heel to toe offset of 4mm, allowing your feet and body to do more work with weight and impact more widely distributed along whole foot.
- Lightweight from 7.8 oz to 8.8 oz (221g to 249)
- Some half sizes but no wide or narrow options. Few color options.
The Saucony Switchback 2 is more commonly considered a trail running shoe. However, it offers exceptional features to also make this an excellent walking shoe on uneven and challenging terrain.
One of the best Saucony walking shoes, it supplies a glove like fit, superior traction, and plenty of cushion and shock absorption to reduce energy backlash and keep you moving forward effortlessly. Its heel tab and Boa fit system means that you can easily take your shoes on and off, and create an even distribution of pressure on top of your foot when fitting the shoe.
Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 For Women
- Forefoot Stretch Zone for flexibility and excellent fit.
- WALK TRAC along rubber sole to promote a natural gait.
- A layer of HRC running underneath the sock liner for extra comfort and cushion.
- Heel ProGrid and forefoot cushioning for extra cushion on high impact pressure points.
- Women’s sizes only
- Full-grain leather for durability and fit.
- Premium sock liner for cushion.
- Rubber nonmarking outsole with some traction.
- Padded tongue and collar for a comfortable fit.
- Compression-molded EVA to reduce energy backlash and decrease foot fatigue.
- Toe rocker for an added boost when walking.
- 12 mm heel to toe offset.
- Weight: 9.7 oz (275 g)
- Abrasion rubber on toe.
The Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 offers premium cushion in several spots – the midsole, heel, and forefoot. No matter how your foot impacts the ground in your natural walking gait, this shoe will offer shock absorption and comfort.
The WALKTRAC along the outsole helps guide your foot through a natural walking motion with some mid-foot stabilization without sacrificing the forefoot flex needed for a comfortable walk. The outsole has good forefoot traction for normal walking surfaces, but would not be the best choice for difficult or uneven terrain.
Like other Saucony sneakers, these shoes would be an excellent choice for any employment that requires long hours on your feet with some traction on your outer sole to deal with slippery conditions.
Saucony Jazz Original For Men
Saucony Jazz Original For Women
Saucony Jazz Original Vintage For Men And Women
- Shock-absorbing Eva midsole.
- Durable rubber traction on the outsole. (Jazz Original sole has a deeper grip than Jazz Original Peak.)
- Unisex colors and sizing.
- Lace-up front with a padded collar, tongue, and footbed for comfort.
- Nylon, suede, and mesh for durability and breathability.
- Premium removable sock liner for cushion.
If you are looking for the best Saucony sneakers that offer style, then the Saucony Original Jazz range are where you should look. They offer a retro cool look in lots of different colors and an extra pair of laces for those who want more options.
Beyond the style, the Saucony Jazz Original range offers superior comfort for long walks. For anyone requiring custom orthotics, the replaceable insole is added plus. The shoes supply excellent breathability and durability from the nylon and mesh uppers. The traction on the outsoles is effective however for more difficult terrain, Saucony Jazz Original Vintage would be a better choice.
Buyer’s Guide To The Best Saucony Walking Shoes
Innovations by Saucony
In the above descriptions, you will have come across innovations introduced by Saucony to improve the performance of their shoes. Here is what they mean.
This development created a durable rubber compound for use on outsoles. The presence of this compound means that your shoe will give you strong grip and superb traction. Saucony claims that the PWRTRAC compound is three times better than any ordinary rubber that is used for outsoles.
EVERUN is an extra layer of material in the midsole that gives better cushioning. It is made from TPU foam, and it comes in two versions. The first of these is the top sole layer and therefore closest to your foot. There is also a full midsole version that aims to provide the softest of landings and the most springy and flexible take-offs.
The basic foam used for cushioning in a sports shoe is EVA foam. Saucony then used TPU foam when it developed EVERUN. They since improved on that with their PWRRUN foam which is a mixture of TPU and EVA foam.
PWRRUN+ is an upgraded version of the TPU foam used for EVERUN. In addition, it provides greater durability and flexibility, and is lighter in weight, yet can absorb more impact than previous materials used for cushioning.
FORMFIT technology replaced the earlier Saucony Isofit technology. It refers to the way in which the upper is made. FORMFIT employs a cushioning system comprised of three layers. The material from which the upper is made will either be a synthetic material or leather, with mesh to give your shoe some breathability. It is important that the upper of your shoe holds your foot in place firmly but comfortably. FORMFIT makes this possible.
BOA is a separate company that has devised a revolutionary system to ensure a firm fit. It removes traditional lacing and replaces it with the ability to tighten the shoe to the shape of your foot by turning a lever. This ensures evenly distributed pressure for a closer and tighter fit. It is expected that BOA “lacing” will be introduced on new models of shoe in the future.
What Makes The Best Walking Shoes?
Here are the important parts of a good walking shoe and the role each plays in building a comfortable and effective shoe. Not every walking shoe needs everything on this list, but they should include many of them.
- Heel protector – fitted around the heel so that the shoe grips your Achilles tendon firmly and lessens the stresses on it while you walk.
- Heel cushion or collar – makes sure that your heel is comfortably secure each time you take a step.
- Padded tongue – cushions the upper foot against pressure from laces.
- Durable and breathable upper – encloses the foot with leather, synthetics, or mesh.
- Lacing or something similar – for the best fit, the upper needs to fit properly to the individual shape of your foot.
- Wide toe box – to allow your toes to spread to eliminate rubbing and blistering and also, for your feet to expand when hot.
- Midsole cushion – probably the most important factor in comfort. Usually, gel or foam, it supplies cushion and shock absorption.
- Replaceable insole – should provide extra cushion, and include anti-microbial elements to reduce sweat and fungal development. Ideally, it can be replaced with a custom orthotic insert if needed or can be washed.
- Traction – the amount of grip and size of lugs needed is dependent on the intended use. City walking requires less traction than trail walking on slippery or uneven terrain.
- Flex – need flexible midsole for comfortable walking.
- Toe rocker – for a natural spring forward with each step.
- Abrasion resistance – rubber toe and heel bumpers.
- Heel to toe offset – between 8mm or less to spread body weight and impact through the foot. Over 8 mm for the heel to take higher impact and transfer the pressure more to the calves and the knees.
Your Foot Shape
It goes without saying that feet come in a variety of shapes. Your feet should not be expected to fit a pair of shoes – the shoes should fit your feet. Forcing your feet into shoes that are the wrong shape will inevitably lead to pain and discomfort. If your feet are wide or narrow, you should make sure that you find the right Saucony sneakers that will fit.
Know Your Arches
The arches in your feet allow your body weight to be evenly distributed over your feet. Your arches also allow your body to cope when you are walking over different ground surfaces. There are three types of arches and your choice of shoe may either be determined by the type of arch you have or whether you can insert a custom orthotic to help support your arches.
- High arches need extra support and cushion to withstand and absorb the impact on the foot from running, jumping, or walking.
- Low arches – also called flat feet – causes your feet to roll inwards towards your big toe while walking. They need shoes that secure the heel and helps direct the foot in a more natural walking gait.
- Neutral or ‘normal’ arches are neither high nor low. They do not need any extra arch support and will benefit from a secure heel and lots of midsole cushion.
When To Replace Your Walking Shoes
A good pair of Saucony walking shoes will last for many miles. However, even the best shoes will begin to show signs of wear and tear as they age. Old shoes, although they might still feel “good” on the feet, will not give the best support nor will they be able to absorb shock as well as a new pair. Unfortunately, you might not even know how deficient your old pair are until you put on a brand new pair of Saucony sneakers.
Replace your current Saucony walking shoes when:
- The outsole is showing signs of wear. As the tread on your shoes wears away so will its grip. You might find yourself slipping in some situations when they used to give you a reliable tread.
- It is also good practice to replace your shoes after 300-400 miles of walking. If you walk about 4 miles a day, then after 100 days (about three and a half months), you should consider changing them.
The best Saucony walking shoes provide comfort, support, durability, and breathability. Which one you choose may ultimately be determined by how you expect to use them as much as the unique demands of your feet. Regardless, Saucony sneakers offer a lot of excellent footwear technology to keep you comfortable and on your feet for hours.