Last Updated on March 13, 2023 by Nicole
In between a suitcase and a tote lies the canvas duffel bag. This classic bag is a perfectly sized carryall for all types of travel – business, a fun weekend getaway, or even a longer trip. Some canvas duffle bags are also useful for a busy day in the city where you need something on the bigger side that will not only carry your work or school stuff but also your workout gear.
There are also lots of practical uses for canvas duffel bags. They are designed to offer roomy internal compartments with little to no pockets. In addition, the canvas material is both supple and sturdy. This means that a canvas duffle bag is ideal for carrying a team’s sports equipment – like helmets or skates – or for other irregularly shaped objects like camping equipment.
The best canvas duffel bags are lightweight and extremely durable. Moreover, they are eco-friendly, and with the right glue, vegan. Also, they are easy to care for and pretty inexpensive relative to leather or suede options. There are countless choices available in every color and size with some that are elegant and sleek while others that are practical and functional looking.
Whatever you are looking for, you will find it below in these best canvas duffle bags.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you buy something through my site. This helps me run my website and produce the articles that I hope you find helpful.
Other Options Available
I have found the best canvas duffel bags that are mostly suited to short term travel (2-5 days) depending on how you pack. However, after reflecting, you may decide that they are not exactly what you are looking for or you want something similar, but smaller or larger, or maybe with more everyday uses.
For a selection of real, faux leather, or canvas crossbody or messenger bags, many of which are also relatively inexpensive and easy to care for, please check out the articles below. Most of them are excellent options if you are looking for business or school bags with lots of internal and external compartments, including ones for laptops or other electronics. Many of them would also work as weekend getaway bags.
- 12 Exquisite Leather Messenger Bags For Men And Women;
- 11 Stylish And Best Messenger Bags For Men;
- 9 Most Affordable And Chic Messenger Bags For Women;
- 12 Best Stylish Yet Practical Canvas Crossbody Bags;
- 15 Best Black Tote Bags; and
- 12 Best Laptop Bags For Men.
For those looking for an upscale brand with exceptional workmanship and unique features, check out 7 Most Sleek And Versatile TUMI Backpacks.
If in the end you decide that you would prefer a traditional suitcase, then an excellent choice is the Samsonite Winfield 2.
Best Canvas Duffel Bags
I’ve chosen a wide range of canvas duffle bags for both men and women. They come in a wide selection of sizes, colors, styles, and patterns. All of them have excellent reviews, are inexpensive and offer fantastic value.
At the end, I offer tips on how best to pack a duffel bag to maximize space, and how to take care of the canvas to make sure that the canvas duffel bag not only lasts a long time, but looks good for the life of the bag.
Newhey Canvas Duffle Bag
- Measures 22.8″ (L) x 11.8″ (D) x 11.8″ (H).
- Comes in six colors or patterns: brown, camo, striped blue or black, purple-grey, or grey.
- It weighs 3.2 lbs.
- Made from high-density waterproof canvas with genuine leather accents.
- Selection of interior and exterior pockets.
- Adjustable and detachable shoulder strap.
- Reinforced zinc-alloy hardware prevents rust and increases durability.
- Rivets and tensile stitching at the handle and shoulder strap connections to ensure they are strong and load-bearing.
- Camo design includes matching toiletry bag.
- Bag may need a couple hours of ventilation when it first arrives.
An extremely popular and highly rated canvas duffel bag, it has been designed to suit business or casual travel at an affordable price. It is large enough for a long weekend trip with extra inner and external compartments to help keep things organized. The color and pattern choices create either a sophisticated vintage look or fun stylish vibe.
The waxed canvas offers waterproof protection, whereas the choice of hardware and stitching makes sure this duffle bag is capable of carrying heavy loads.
One recent purchaser said, “Blown away. This thing is exceptionally nice—for its price tag. If this were on the shelves of a department store, it would be priced at a minimum three times higher, and I don’t think you’d be too upset about paying that much. However, at this price, it’s a steal.
The waxed canvas is thick and feels durable. The leather is on par with what you’d expect, if not a cut above. It’s certainly not high end, but it’s far from cheap feeling. The stitching appears strong and the hardware is real metal. I’m expecting to get many miles out of this bag.”
Suicipi Canvas Duffel Bag
- Measures 22″(L) x 9.8″(D) x 11.8″(H).
- Comes in seven different colors and accents.
- It weighs 3.28 lbs.
- Includes complimentary toiletry bag.
- Multiple interior and exterior zippered pockets including a padded I-pad pocket.
- Back sleeve so can be secured through trolley handle on top of other luggage.
- Padded, adjustable and removable shoulder strap.
- Water and odor-resistant compartment for shoes, wet items or dirty clothes with vents for breathability.
- Four high-quality dirt-resistant plastic feet on the bottom of the bag.
- Can open two side zippers and extend size of bag to 26″ long.
- If fully packed, bag might not fit underneath an airplane seat so may not be used as a personal bag but as a carry-on.
This canvas duffle bag offers a handsome classic look with features that make it a brilliant travel companion. It features a trolley sleeve that helps you stack it on other luggage so that you can whizz through the airport with ease. It supplies multiple secured interior and exterior pockets to store all of your travel documents, as well as your electronic gadgets such as a laptop, phone or tablet.
You can rest it on the ground without concerns that water or dirt will damage the bag or seep into your personal belongings. In addition, there is a separate compartment to store dirty, wet or smelly items to protect your clean or dry belongings. Finally, the ability to expand the size is a fantastic option for those extra holiday purchases.
Rothco Canvas Duffle Bag
- Measures 19″ (L) x 11″ (D) x 12″ (H).
- Comes in four colors: black, brown, olive and navy blue.
- Weighs 1.8 lbs.
- Made with rugged heavyweight cotton canvas.
- Has snap-closure flap over full-length zipper for extra security.
- Features reinforced web carry handles.
- Very affordable.
- No way to lock the bag.
- No shoulder strap or pockets.
If you are looking for a large inexpensive stripped down canvas duffel bag, then this is the one for you. It only offers a large internal compartment without lining or pockets. You only have one carrying option – with the handles. There are no leather accents.
Instead, you get a streamlined bag with a large interior capable of storing a lot of stuff. It is made from heavyweight canvas with reinforced stitching around the handles for heavy loads and durability.
This bag would be suitable for travel, especially if you want to pack it into another suitcase for holiday purchases, but also to carry sports equipment or camping essentials. At around $20, this would be an excellent inexpensive duffel bag option.
S-Zone Canvas Duffel Bag
- Two sizes – Extra large (45L) measures 20.5″ (L) x 9.1″ (D) x 14.5″ (H) and large (30L) measures 17.7″ (L) x 8.6″ (D) x 11.8″ (H).
- Comes in different colors and patterns.
- It weighs 2.8 lbs.
- Made using durable canvas, PU leather and polyester lining.
- Back sleeve to slide over trolley handle of a rolling suitcase.
- 5 metal rivets on bottom to keep bag off ground to avoid dirt or water.
- Extra clip to keep handles together.
- Easy to fold down yet stiff enough to stand up while packing.
- Bottom compartment for shoes or to keep any items separate from main bag.
- Detachable shoulder strap.
- Large size may be considered a personal bag versus a carry-on bag as it can fit under seat.
- Couple of interior pockets and exterior zippered compartments.
- Needs ventilation when first arrives.
- Shoulder strap is not padded.
Forget about sacrificing fashion for functionality – this canvas duffle bag is stylish and fun, and is a large travel bag for anywhere from 2 – 5 days, depending on how you pack and what size you purchase. Both sizes offer the exact same features.
One of the distinct advantages to purchasing the large versus the extra large size is that you can use the larger version as a personal bag and then, still bring on a carry-on suitcase. Accordingly, you may be able to avoid the cost of checked luggage while still be able to pack more items for your trip.
You can secure it to the handle of your rolling suitcase to free up your hands. Also, you can slip in your passport and other travel documents into the exterior pockets for easy access. In addition, you can place it on the ground without worrying about dirt or moisture damaging the bag or your personal items. Finally, the separate compartment gives you lots of options about how best to pack your belongings.
Baosha Canvas Duffel Bag
- Measures 21.3″ (L) x 9.4″ (D) x 13″ (H).
- Comes in three colors: army-green, black, and grey
- Weighs 2.8 lbs.
- Detachable and adjustable wide canvas strap to carry on shoulder.
- Some internal pockets.
- Can withstand significant wear and tear.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Needs to be aired out before its first use.
- No shoulder pad on strap.
This canvas duffle bag is an excellent travel companion for a long weekend away. It fits in most overhead bins, even on small regional planes that offer smaller compartments.
It is stylish and can fit an extraordinary amount of stuff. The handles and detachable strap gives you options about how you wish to carry the bag. When it’s not in use, it lays flat so it is easy to store.
One buyer claimed, “if you are looking for something that will be good to pack all your stuff for a 2-night weekend trip and want to avoid a large suitcase – this is a great bag to consider.”
Trail Maker Canvas Duffle Bag
- Sports style bag measures 24″ (L) x 12″ (D) x 11.5″ (H).
- Comes in eight colors with different styles and accents: black, red, blue and grey.
- Weighs 1.39 lbs.
- Heavy-duty duffle bag with velcro handle straps and adjustable shoulder strap.
- Double zipper on main compartment for easy access.
- Easy to fold up when empty.
- Shoulder strap is not detachable and is not padded.
- Only one zippered compartment.
- Not meant to be overpacked with heavy items.
Sometimes simple and cheap is exactly what you need. This canvas duffel bag is a large (55L) travel companion, in addition to an excellent bag to carry your gym essentials, camping gear, dirty laundry, shoes and more.
It is lightweight, has a basic design, and few extras like pockets. However, it will easily carry essentials, lay flat for easy storage or fold up to be available as an extra bag on your trips. At less than $20, it is a great “go to” bag for lots of different needs.
Toupons Canvas Duffle Bag
- Measures 20.8″ (L) x 9.8″ (D) x 11.8″ (H).
- Comes in four colors: blue, black, grey and coffee
- Comes in different sizes (23″ in length) with shoe compartments.
- Weighs 2.5 lbs.
- Has multiple internal and external pockets.
- Can fit 14″ laptop and I-pad.
- Four wear-resisting rubber pads on bottom of bag to avoid water and dirt.
- Adjustable, padded and removable shoulder strap.
- Size can be easily extended by almost 4″ in the 20.8″ (L) size bag.
- Tear-resistant fabric with durable reinforcement.
This multi-functional travel canvas duffel bag is very popular and well regarded by thousands of online reviewers. Depending on how you pack, it could be suitable for anywhere from 3-7 days trip. In addition, the multiple pockets offer a lot of opportunity to not only organize your belongings, but also to help you efficiently navigate airport security.
This canvas duffle bag has a stylish contemporary look that would be an excellent choice for business or personal travel. It can function as a personal or carry-on bag, easily fitting under the seat (if not fully packed) or in the overhead compartment. When not travelling, it would function well as a school or work bag on those days when you hope to add a trip to the gym or extra clothes for a night on the town.
S-Zone Canvas Duffel Bag
- Measures 21.7″ (L) x 10.2″ (D) x 14.8″ (H).
- Comes in 7 colors and patterns including khaki, black or blue stripes, camo, light or dark grey, and blue.
- Weighs 3.56 lbs.
- Large capacity (60L), high-density cotton canvas, and crazy horse leather trim.
- Fits in the overhead bin or under the seat (if not filled to capacity).
- Detachable shoulder strap.
- Some interior pockets and two exterior zippered pockets (one on back and other on front).
- Dual zippers that have been upgraded.
- One year defect’s liability period coverage.
- Bag becomes floppy when not full.
- Shoulder strap is not padded.
If you need a vintage looking canvas duffle bag that can carry a lot of your belongings for a 2-4 day trip, then this bag would be ideal. With close to 6000 highly positive reviews on Amazon, this bag supplies what most people are looking for in an excellent canvas duffel bag.
It offers several internal and external compartments, and a large roomy interior. You can carry three ways – over your shoulder, cross body allowing you to be hands free, or with the handles only.
The material is heavy-duty, and according to one reviewer, “This bag is durable, attractive and comes ready to hold anything one could possibly need.”
Stansport Canvas Duffel Bag
- Measures 36″ (L) x 18″ (D) x 18″ (H).
- Weighs 1.37 lbs.
- Reinforced stress points for durability.
- Full-length zipper for easy access.
- Made from heavy-duty 22-ounce cotton canvas.
- Adjustable shoulder strap with pad for comfort.
- Velcro straps.
- Only comes in one color combination.
- Shoulder strap is not detachable.
- Too large to be carry-on.
Going camping and want a strong durable bag capable of carrying a lot? This is one of the best canvas duffel bags for this purpose. In addition, it is stylish so it would be suitable for travel although it is too large to be a carryall bag. The adjustable padded shoulder strap offers flexibility in how you wish to carry it and also additional comfort if you need to pack it with heavy items.
One happy purchaser exclaimed “We travel quite frequently and use this to hold just about everything and anything you can imagine. We refer to it as “The Magic Bag” because it never seems full no matter what you put in it.” You definitely won’t go wrong with this one.
Wowbox Canvas Duffle Bag
- Measures 21.7″ (L) x 9.8″ (D) x 11.8″ (H).
- Comes in two colors – brown and grey – and two styles – with or without a waterproof shoe compartment.
- Weighs 3.44 lbs.
- Premium canvas fabric with genuine cowhide leather accents.
- Detachable and adjustable padded shoulder strap.
- Waterproof shoe compartment.
- External secured pockets to organize items.
- Magnetic buckles for quick access.
- Rear zippered pocket can fit tablet.
- Handles are wrapped in leather for style and comfort.
This is one of the best canvas duffle bags for business or weekend travel. Designed to comfortably carry your items with lots of external pockets to help you easily pass through the airport, this duffle bag is lightweight and stylish. On most airplanes, it can fit in overhead compartments or under seats (if not packed full).
This duffel bag is very popular and highly rated on Amazon. Most purchasers appreciate the large and thoughtfully designed bag with extra comfort features like the padded shoulder straps and wrapped leather handles. In addition, it supplies a water resistant compartment to fit shoes and other dirty or wet clothes that you want to keep separated from other items in your bag.
It looks sophisticated and expensive but is offered at an affordable price.
Ulgoo Canvas Duffel Bag
- Vintage style bag measures 21.3″ (L) x 9.4″ (D) x 13″ (H).
- Comes in five colors: black, army green, grey, blue, coffee.
- Weighs 2.9 lbs.
- Has a thick and durable canvas exterior with soft brown lining.
- Shoulder strap is long, adjustable and detachable.
- Handles are made with soft thick PU leather.
- 5 internal pockets for wallet, cellphones, and keys.
- 2 zippered external pockets for easy access to travel documents.
As one user said, “Small in size, but large in compartments!” This simple but beautiful canvas duffle bag has an old world charm that would suit a weekend away to any luxury destination. However, it is offered at a fraction of the expected cost.
It provides lots of internal and external pockets that do not impact the roomy interior. The bottom is made from PU leather, so if you set the bag down somewhere dirty or wet, it won’t get ruined.
Ledmark Canvas Duffle Bag
- Comes in five sizes measuring; 24″ x 16″ (medium), 30″ x 18″ (large), 36″ x 20″( x-large) 48″ x 20″ (giant) and 72″ x 22″ (colossal).
- Limited colors.
- Adjustable, detachable and padded shoulder strap.
- Grab handles with velcro
- Lockable zippers.
- Can withstand heavy outdoor conditions and weather elements.
- The bag holds more than the actual dimensions suggest so consider ordering a size down than what you think you need.
- No interior or exterior pockets.
If space is what you are after, then these outback heavy canvas duffle bags are it. They offer great wear and tear resistance with lockable zippers to keep your belongings safe. They are the ultimate bag for avid campers or for any road trip where you need to store a lot of stuff without a lot of fuss.
Duffle Bag Versus Suitcase
Many people only consider suitcases when they need to purchase a bag for traveling. However, they are not always the best option even when you purchase a carry-on size for a short trip away.
When you purchase a hard sided or soft sided suitcase, the shape is defined and has little flexibility. That is not the case with the canvas duffle bags. Even with heavy duty canvas, the material is supple and allows you to reduce the size of the bag when not packing it to capacity. You can compress it which may be the difference between fitting it under the seat in front of you or into the overhead bins on a plane.
The flip side is also relevant. If you wish to pack irregularly shaped items or need to fill a duffle bag to capacity, you have more opportunity to work with the canvas material in a duffel bag versus a traditional suitcase. The only caveat is making sure that the duffle bag has heavy duty zippers and reinforced stitching around the handles or strong hardware attaching the shoulder strap so the bag can withstand the additional pressure and weight.
How Should You Pack A Duffel Bag?
Travel costs have always been an issue for most consumers. Accordingly, leaving your big suitcase behind when you can, and packing all your belongings into a carryall (one that fits into the plane’s overhead compartment) or personal bag (fits under the seat) are fantastic ways to reduce costs.
So how do you do that? How do you pack all of your belongings into a canvas duffel bag that does not exceed the airline’s size requirements for a personal or carry-on bag?
Here are a few tips that will help you.
Fold The Edges Of The Bag
Start by folding down the upper edges of the duffle bag so you have access to the bottom of the bag. As you pack in your items, unfold them as necessary.
Always place your non-essentials at the bottom of the bag. Ensure that you only put durable non-essentials (like shoes) at the bottom to avoid damaging any of your stuff.
Change The Way You Fold Your Clothes
Instead of folding clothes the traditional way, roll them into cylinder shapes and place them in a row. This minimizes wrinkling and gives you more space.
Stuff Small Items In The Gaps
As you’re filling up your duffle bag, you can stuff small items like socks and underwear into gaps. Remember to place your medication and toiletries on the top or in the outer compartments.
Give It A Little Shake
As you are nearing the top, shake the bag a little to help settle the clothing to create more space. You could also push down the clothes to compress them unless you are concerned about wrinkling.
How To Care For Your Canvas Duffel Bags
Overall, canvas duffel bags are inexpensive relative to leather duffel bags or suitcases. Nevertheless, money is money and you want to make sure that you take care of your bag so that it lasts as long as possible.
In addition, many canvas duffle bags are stylish and compliment a business or fashionable look. To that end, you want to make sure your bag stays clean. Here are some tips for caring for and washing your canvas duffle bag.
The first step is to identify all of the materials on your duffle bag. If it has leather or suede accents, then you should not submerge it in water for a prolonged period of time.
Also, be alert if the canvas has prints or patterns as they may be sensitive to water temperature. If your bag has color, be aware of the possibility of color bleeding and transfer. To be on the safe side, always wash in cold water and keep an eye on it.
Before You Wash
Before you wash your canvas duffel bag, you should prep it first. Empty all the pockets and then shake the bag upside down to draw out any small or hidden items like coins, dirt, and paper. If possible, pull out the lining and also turn it upside down.
Always read the care labels and follow the manufacturer’s recommended wash and care guidelines.
Look for stains before you begin. Take a damp cloth and some mild soap and wipe the stain as gently as possible. Do not scrub. If it’s a difficult stain, you might need to use something stronger, although avoid corrosive detergents. Do your best to only use soaps and detergents that are recommended for canvas.
Some canvas duffel bags require hand washing. Machine washing may ruin it.
If your bag is painted or at risk of color bleeding, then do not submerge it in water. Instead, take a damp cloth and some mild soap and wipe the bag. Again, do not scrub.
If you can soak it, then submerge it in cold water and use the same gentle wiping. Use warm water if there isn’t any risk of color bleeding. If you are unsure, it’s best to use cold water.
After hand washing your canvas duffle bag, you can use a damp cloth to wipe away any detergent. You can also soak the bag in cold water if it’s safe to do so.
Make sure that you rinse out all of the detergent or cleaning products. Leaving detergent in fabric may damage it. In any event, it wears away at its durability. Once you are certain that the soap is gone, gently wring out the water and prepare the bag for drying.
If your duffle bag has metal hardware, use a high-quality brass cleaner or metal polish to clean it. Use a cotton swab for small hard to reach areas. However, make sure the cleaner does not come into contact with the fabric.
If the design and fabric of the duffle bag allow you, you can use your washing machine.
Always set the temperature according to the guidelines from the manufacturer. Read the labels and double-check with the website to set the water temperature. If unsure, use cold water and set it on the gentle cycle.
Once the cycle is done, immediately take the duffle bag out to avoid mold. While it is wet, reshape the bag. Sometimes the canvas loses its shape in a wash cycle.
Allow the bag to air dry regardless of the washing method. A dryer may shrink the bag or distort its shape.
Storage Of Your Crossbody Canvas Bag
It’s best to clean your canvas duffle bag a couple of times a year to keep it durable and looking new.
If you are not planning on using your bag after drying, store it upright or flat. This will help the bag maintain its shape.
Do not store your canvas bag in plastic. The plastic could sweat, produce moisture, and cause mold to grow. To prevent dust accumulating, keep the bag in a cotton laundry bag and make sure there is enough air where it is stored.
Whether you are taking a road trip or packing for your dream vacation and hopping on a plane, a canvas duffel bag is an ideal bag to bring along. It offers strong yet flexible material that allows you to fit it into difficult and cramped spaces. In addition, you can pack unusually shaped items and not worry that they might not fit. Even better, you can often flatten out an empty one and pack it into another personal, carryall or checked bag in case you go a little wild with your holiday shopping.